Sunday, January 19, 2014

Slowing down the Rush


Otherwise known as ‘pref-round’ or preference round, round 4 is a very exciting but nerve-racking day for all involved. Today we would only be going to a maximum of 3 sororities, and at the end of the day we would rank them 1-3. This ranking signals which one you would most like a bid from, right down to the least.
There were tears before the day even started as Gamma Chi’s called girls to break the news that they had only been called back to one sorority today, leaving them with only one option. Often that one option was not desirable and we had girls dropping out of the entire process, crying, or storming around in an angry rage demanding to know “WHY????”. “This system is bull****!!” was a common cry.
Aside from this not-so-pretty and quite saddening side to the rush process, round 4 had us showered in love, attention and only talking to one or maybe two girls from each sorority. The time for interaction increased to an hour, and so the conversation moved from small-talk to much broader and more interesting topics. The rooms were redecorated yet again, the girls in matching colours and I even consumed a delicious chocolate macaron at one sorority.
The day went quickly and soon it was time to sign the MRABA. The MRABA is like a contract, stating that no matter what happens on bid day you will accept a bid from any of your remaining (max) 3 sororities. You then rank the sororities, and under the watchful eye of an adult volunteer (really feels like a contract) sign your sorority life away to the pan-hel gods.
Making the decision this time wasn’t as hard as I thought. As I went to each sorority, I realised there was one where I felt really at home. I can only hope that they felt I fit in too. I am a little nervous to get my bid, but no matter what happens all three of my options have amazing girls. Bid day and beyond is apparently just a showering of love and attention (who can go wrong with that?) and a chance to meet so many new friends to share new experiences with.
Throughout this process I have learnt a lot.
-       How to pronounce and remember the names of the sororities (I may have been calling one Delta Theta Phi once upon a time…)
-       What “dirty rushing” is (influencing, or pre-claiming PNM’s to ensure they join) a complete no-no.
-       How to small talk like a champion and whittle my life story: why-i-moved-to-America, what-Australia-is-like and what-do-I-like-to-do-in-my-spare-time down to a fine art.
-       That no matter what you say, and how much you are determined to not let it get to you, getting cut from sororities does hurt.
-       There will be tears, tears everywhere.
But I most importantly learnt that rush is an amazing, unique experience that I am so glad I was a part of. I have met interesting, diverse, dynamic girls from all ages and places and have been lucky enough to receive some of their wisdom. I have learnt of great classes to take, where to travel, clubs to join and where the best coffee is on campus. No matter which sorority I end up in there are a handful of girls, in all-different chapters that I really hope to connect with after rush. Girls who speak of elephant trekking, spirit animals, eating entire pints of Ben and Jerry’s and dressing up as giant bananas.
After Rush, I feel a little bit more American, but also a lot more connected to Duke and its intelligent, funny young women.
Is it Bid day yet?

1 comment:

  1. You are going into it with the right attitude and lucky to have 3 great sororities to choose from. As for the girls who were left with only one sorority...and one they did not care to join..I feel their pain and agree yes, the system can be bull!@#...

    ReplyDelete