Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Coming home, and going back ‘home’.


I very quickly came to call Duke ‘home’ (something that appears to have significantly stressed my Dad). It is my ‘home’, for now at least. My entire life really lies within the infamous ‘Duke Bubble’. But coming home home, was so exciting. The time this semester honestly flew, but it did feel like forever since I had been living in Maroubra, with Mum, Dad, Lola and Rufus (and the goldfish I guess). Arriving back in Sydney was just thrilling, for the people and the city itself. I loved every minute, though they flew too quickly past. I saw how my friends had moved on with their lives, new jobs, new degree pursuits, new relationships but with the same fun, spirited and generous hearts. Reuniting with family friends over the holiday season was equally fun and a change from purely college aged friends. The pets were as delightful as ever, Lola beautiful and Rufus his happy, singing self. But the very best of all was spending time with Mum and Dad. Despite Skype, Whatsapp and how quickly a semester passes I do really miss them. I’m used to sharing every experience at an instant with the fun-loving, open minded and wise Maray couple. Its not quite the same from so far away. Living at home again, going to the beach, watching T.V, eating delicious food and appreciating summer together was so much fun, but glaringly valuable.
Going back to my ‘home’, going back to Duke was very different from leaving the first time. Firstly some incredibly stressful last minute visa paperwork crisis wreaked havoc through our household (oops…). Aside from that the reality was, that this time I wasn’t leaving on a brand new exciting adventure, parents in tow. This time I was returning to an already commenced story, leaving them (at least physically behind). I am incredibly excited for the new semester, new classes, friends and experiences. I’m anxiously looking forward to my first Robertson Summer volunteering somewhere in either Mississippi or Kentucky. I am, however, a year off coming home to Sydney, and seven months away from meeting my parents in France. This semester promises to be full of opportunities and excitement, but also new independence and challenges.
If 2013 was the year of the unexpected, what will define 2014?

2 comments:

  1. Naawww...'fun loving, open minded and wise'...( wise words indeed from you Ms T!) We so loved having you 'home' and count down the days till end July and look forward to another sunny, fun Christmas in Aussie land! with the sophomore.We also miss the instant feedback from you ....must Skype even more so we can live US college life vicariously through you... What will define 2014? Probably commitment and fulfillment

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was soooo nice to have you home . For three weeks, it felt like it was before " Duke ". It is very comforting to know you were happy to get back to NC, Duke and your friends. I was too protective to understand why you called Duke home, but as an immigrant, I also have two homes , two places I love and where I am loved too. After seeing Duke, there are lots of worse places to call " Home ". Of course there are all those smartypants teenagers who gave grief to they parents...., their parents were probably happy to see them go....but it's the great kids who get the opportunities and fly the coop and spread their wings..Have a great time and the US and see you soon in France.
    Love.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete