Sunday, January 19, 2014

Bid Day!!


I could say a lot of things about bid day, but in the spirit of honesty-blogging I am going to tell the truth. Bid day was a little insane. The night before I had weird dreams of getting into sororities that didn’t even exist at Duke, or being the only person in my sorority. Today we gathered at 12:30 in Duke’s Bryan Centre, with about 400 girls secretly (or not so secretly freaking out). As we filed into the theatre to boppy ‘everything will be fun and wonderful music’ I was really nervous. I had put down my preferences and I was really hoping to get into my first choice. Watching the slideshow of pictures from rush and waiting to get the envelope that contained my bid, time seemed to stop. I got a white envelope with my name on it, as did the hundreds of girls around me. 5,4,3,2,1 everyone shouted and ripped open their letters. Mine had a blue and silver crest and cordially invited me join the sisters of Zeta Tau Alpha. It wasn’t my first choice, and at first I was deeply disappointed. Not so much because I didn’t like Zeta, I had met amazing girls there, genuine, funny, and interesting and loved their philanthropy. I just couldn’t help wondering what I had done wrong yesterday with my other choice. Why didn’t my first choice want me anymore? I knew the girls and I had really connected there and couldn’t understand why they didn’t offer me a bid. After talking to my Gamma Chi I understood that not getting a bid didn’t necessarily mean that those girls didn’t like me. As one girl said “it's such a numbers game and all gets put into the computer and crunched”.
The very best discovery that came with being in Zeta was that my very best friends were in it with me too! As I went to bid day and rekindled friendships with Zeta girls I had met throughout the process I realized just how many friendly, fun girls I remembered and was excited to see again! I had a great afternoon meeting the girls, learning a little more about the sorority, taking pictures whilst making the Zeta symbol with my fingers and playing games. They were all so welcoming, and I am really genuinely excited to be a part of Zeta. We have our first official event tonight and I can’t wait to meet more of my new ‘sisters’.




2 comments:

  1. What a cute group of girls! I see you (sans cap!...I agree, I don't 'do' caps!) up the back and cheeky Shelby between the letters! Now to locate Krista....?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tierney, I couldn't wait to hear the end of the story!! Fascinating and NOTHING like it in Australia is there?? Anyone , it's all uphill from here, and BIG CONGRATULATIONS for getting into the debating team. You're a legend !!!
    love you. kate.

    ReplyDelete