Sunday, July 14, 2013

Visa!!!

Today’s post contained my Australian Passport with a significant addition: a brand new U.S Visa!

I had sat my interview at the Consulate only on Thursday, and had my application approved. The waiting room was filled with people like me, anxiously hoping nothing would be wrong with their reams of paperwork. I had dressed in job interview attire like many candidates, though of course there was “that” Australian wandering around the U.S Consulate in Crocs *sigh*.

(Ready for my Interview!)

Luckily I had somehow managed to correctly fill all my paperwork, and remember what was what! I paid my issuance fee and got sent on my way to await this exciting delivery! 


Now that I have my Visa in hand, everything feels much more official, much more real. With only 16 days left until the big move I am beyond excited! I want to explore the country that is to be my home for the next four years, I want to to meet my roommate and be called Ma’am, I want to commence my orientation activities and classes. I’m ready to go! 


However, the fact that I’m venturing into this enormous chapter without seeing and talking to my parents everyday is something that I’m very conscious of. The only people who would be just as excited, and get as much out of my experience as me, would be them! I’m so lucky to have parents who have taught me to be up for everything, to seize every opportunity and who have given me space to make my own decisions, mistakes and success.But I’m not leaving them behind, not just yet! I’m delighted that they will be showing me the sights of New York and North Carolina, helping lug my worldly possessions across the globe and experiencing orientation and my first taste of Duke with me.


Amazing times like these are best shared, and there is no doubt that my parents will enthusiastically and wholeheartedly share in everything with me, whether they be visiting in North Carolina or 15516 kilometres away in Sydney.As for now, as Dumbledore would say "Let us step into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."

1 comment:

  1. The temptress Adventure indeed! Dad and I are so looking forward to sharing the news of your experiences, obviously not in person (except for the first few weeks) but on phone, email, Skype, Blog, etc. Not the same I know, but...soooo excited for you, Mum

    ReplyDelete