Sunday, July 21, 2013

The Fabulous Farewell!


A party run by the Marays, is never a subdued affair. A party run by the Marays always gives birth to colourful stories. A party run by the Marays is creative, crazy and complete with fabulous costumes.
For those of you who have experienced a Maray party, you’ll know exactly what I mean. For those who haven’t...well I can only try and help you visualise.

My parents decided many months ago that my farewell was not merely to be a party, but an event. As the time to my departure drew closer the local underground bar and disco room was booked, DJ was hired and food platters were painstakingly chosen. Most people would have stopped there. But oh no, not the Maray parents!

The party was christened with a U.S.A theme and from there Mumma Maray went wild! Trawling through hundreds of websites and two dollar shops to find the ULTIMATE party decorations, she plotted gleefully. Hanging Hollywood director’s boards, OSCAR statues, American flag banners, mini hot dog and hamburger lollies, goodbye and congratulations banners, American flag toothpicks, tablecloths and giant American dollar notes filled the room! The bartab? To be ticketed with fake American bills.

Then the games started coming out! Shoot the mini basketball, make an Ass of a particular past political leader (aka pin the tail on the donkey) and Dad’s wooden creation, throw the quoits onto the Texan bull’s horns, were all added to the night’s agenda.

Throw the quoits on the Texan Bull!


Now, it wouldn’t be a Maray party without a compulsory costume theme. I had ordered a Glee Cheerleader’s outfit two weeks in advance but it just didn’t make the cut. Dad was to be Uncle Sam, and Mum a cowgirl but what about me? Time was ticking and I just couldn’t find anything I loved until Mum came to me with a vision. Swathed in verdigris coloured fabric, a crown upon my head and a eternal flame in my hand...I was to be the Statue of Liberty!

Great idea in theory: Uncle Sam, Cowgirl, Statue of Liberty. Except our "express post", wasn’t so express. We were feverishly tracking our shipment which arrived in the dying hours of Friday afternoon.  

Come Saturday Dad was in the kitchen crafting éclair "hot dogs", macaron "hamburgers" and a succulent red velvet cake decorated as the American flag (accompanying Mum's pumpkin pie!).


Sweetly American
Night fell: Mum grabbed her pistol, Dad stuck on his beard and I lit my torch. 
We were ready.


Despite my entry (tripping on my gown and falling into the room) - the party was a hit!
 Everyone went to an effort with their costume, and American Indians, Superheros, Hot Dogs, Cheerleaders and Baseball players mingled throughout the night. I’m embarrassed to say we thew ourselves with country gusto into “Cotton-eyed Joe" not once... but three times. My parents both gave beautiful speeches and I did my best too (though emotions were running a little high at this point). After cutting the American flag cake and pumpkin pie, the night raged on.


As the last notes of “Party in the U.S.A” died down, I thought about all the wonderful people who had come to celebrate and wish me well as I prepare to leave the “Land Down-Under”. Whilst America is to be my new adventure and my new life I know I’ll always still call Australia home.





11 comments:

  1. I love this! This must have been a crazy, and emotional experience. I couldn't imagine packing up to leave my own country, as I am only travelling from a suburb of Atlanta, GA to Durham in the fall. Good luck the rest of the way, can't wait to meet you in G-A!

    Your fellow Dukie and floor member,
    Chris White

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris,
      It has been a crazy and emotional experience!
      Very much looking forward to meeting you in G.A this fall :)
      Tierney x

      Delete
  2. I Loved Loved Loved this party..one of the nights to remember! And I danced away the night like I was 23 again, such fun. Your eloquent and moving words will stay with Dad and I always. Now with all the USA 'infrastructure' and assorted paraphernalia..we have a perfect excuse to bring on a big Thanksgiving ...even in your absence. But we will think of you and imagine what you're doing for your first Thanksgiving...and give thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a fantastic party, all thanks to you and Dad. You looked 23!
    Yes, add another party to the annual list! I'll think of you too from where I am hopefully having a very traditional time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to have missed this fab party. All the best for the next chapter of your life Miss Tierney, I'm sure it will be amazing. Bon Voyage xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Howdy Pardners!

    Hey Dana, Jean-Michel and Tierney – what a great night!

    Thanks so much for inviting us to say ‘farewell’. It was such fun and we all had a fab time.

    The humour, speeches, costumes, food/drink, company and entertainment were brilliant and so well thought out, so HUGE thanks.

    We are going to miss you Tierney!
    Hugs!
    The Wendys

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Marays,

    What can I say!*!*

    Your whole family deserves an award just for being amazing people, friends, parents, daughter, husband, wife.
    The love and respect you all have for each other and your friends is so inspiring!

    Tierney I think your blog will be followed and enjoyed by all who know you and more who will want to know you.

    I'm flying home tonight and will certainly see you all before you set off on your big adventure.

    Please remember you always have a home here in Bali too.

    Will call when home.

    Love
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Lou,Wendy x2 and Wendy,
    Thanks for commenting!!

    Lou: I am very excited for this next chapter, but never fear there will always be another Maray party to attend!

    Wendy x2: They do throw a good party don't they?! I am so glad you could come and that you enjoyed yourselves. I'll miss you both xx

    Wendy: What a lovely message :) We do love each other very much, and I am lucky to have such spectacular parents, friends and godparents!! I hope that people will follow and enjoy my blog as I get to share all my adventures with the web. Can't wait to see you xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. You failed to tell me just how amazing these costumes were! Your dad takes the prize for most authentic one though! WOW - I really have to make it to a Maray's celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete