Tuesday, July 9, 2013

SAT Crash Course



I decided (after panicking) that there was absolutely no way I was going to let Maths ruin my life, take away the greatest opportunity I had ever gotten.

With limited time I set to work with a patient tutor and the SAT Bible – the Blue Book.

Algebra, Pythagoras Theorem Ratios, Inequalities and Quadratic equations were all tackled with a determination that my high school maths teachers never saw.

It was game on.

But it wasn't just the Maths... grammar is so rarely and superficially taught in Australian schools that the SAT grammar section was no picnic. Dangling modifiers, subject-verb agreement, parallelisms and illogical comparisons soon had to become familiar to me. (I also was to develop as an expert No. 2 pencil wielder).

To be honest, I was really stressed.
My life had gone from “When I go to America” to “If I go to America”. I would get so frustrated when people told me it was still “when”. They didn't understand, I had to embrace the possibility I mightn't go or it would hurt that much more if that nightmare became a reality.

I felt like I was a Donkey who had been allowed the carrot, only to have it stolen after a bite. It dangled on its string oh so temptingly in front of my face.


I wanted it back.

2 comments:

  1. Oh the guilt I have felt as a mother over encouraging you to feed all maths material into a bonfire with the words that have come back to haunt me...'You'll never need maths, ever again!"
    OOPS.
    Dad and I were so proud of the way you knuckled down and applied yourself to studying for the SAT's. When you want something you go out and get it! It's a great trait my love. Kudos.Mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha yes, we never thought I'd need it again! Oh well managed to pull through!

    ReplyDelete