Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The Big Day



After my intense crash course, many sleepless nights of fitful dreams the day of the SAT’s came. I had clutched to me an army of pencils and two calculators. (I had laughed at the College Board’s statement “Every question in the mathematics portion of the SAT can be solved without a calculator”.)
 At that point I valued my calculator as much as my life.

There were bubbles filled, some Maths questions skipped, grammar errors identified and a few unusual comprehension texts read. After a long Saturday morning (just to add insult to injury!) I fled to anxiously await my results.

I filled my days with friends, work and my introduction to Game of Thrones...and as result day came closer an interesting thing happened. I could start to see myself at Duke, as a Robbie, again. The picture I had conjured up all that time ago was coming back, no matter if I tried to shield myself from it. I would get flashes of excitement and dream about Southern accents and summer programs. I was still incredibly nervous but there was definitely a shift towards greater hope.

I was sitting home alone, watching “My Week With Marilyn” mindlessly refreshing the SAT page, two hours too early when suddenly my results popped up! A huge jolt ran through me, first of fear and then relief when I realised that they were pretty good. I rang Mum and Dad and we allowed ourselves to get a bit excited. I was still very nervous though – would my marks be good enough for Duke?

I had settled in for at least another’s day of anxious waiting when within an hour (I think sensing my concern) admissions responded!

I was in!!!


The ecstasy and emotions made me feel like I had won the scholarship all over again! Once more I got to make momentous phone calls to loved ones, and though they were sad to see me go, they shared in my genuine delight.

Too keyed up to sleep I then trawled through the entire Trinity Blue Book, looked at Duke on Google Maps, listened to “Party in the U.S.A” on repeat (tragic I know) and collapsed into a contented sleep like no other.

It was really happening – in just over a month I would start on my life’s greatest journey so far. 
I couldn't wait!







No comments:

Post a Comment