Thursday, June 5, 2014

Things I learnt Freshman Year



·      Failure hides in unlikely places but is ok. Seeing as I found my philosophy class very difficult and loved Spanish (even at 8:45am every day) I fully expected low grades in “What would you do in this situation that will never really happen like decide whether to push a fat man over a bridge in front of a train to save a family of five or not?” In an unexpected turn of events, I did well in philosophy but FAILED a Spanish exam. There were tears, great fear and confusion because yes it was hard, and yes I didn’t know all the grammar but really??? A fail??? Ultimately it wasn’t the end of the world. It gave me a massive shock and I studied super hard for the rest of the semester to make my grade up.
·      Friends are indeed very precious. I have been so lucky to make as wonderful, supportive, dynamic friends at Duke as I still have back home.
·      Decisions and difficult decisions can ultimately be very rewarding. I moved rooms this semester and gained a new roommate. Julia and I had lots of fun and through her I made brand new friends that really enhanced my freshman year.
·      Durham is way too cold. I do not appreciate shivering for months on end, wearing the same four outfits, slipping on frost or getting attacked by ice rain. That said NC’s total inability to deal with snow lead to some nice days off, and a snowman or two!
·      Theatre will always have my heart. Having not been in a polished production since St Clare’s College and Waverley College’s “Jesus Christ Super Star” I was keen to be a part of a show again. Having auditioned for Duke Theatre Studies Mainstage Show “Machinal” last August, rehearsals in January seemed a long time coming! Being a part of “Machinal” was an incredible experience, busy, tiring but I learnt so much, met fabulous people and felt I really grew throughout the show. Oh and I can do an alright American accent now too.
·      Time differences suck. It makes it super hard to keep in touch with people because as much as I love you I am not getting up at 5am to Skype. Will need to get a better handle on that next semester.
·      Sororities are so much fun. The girls of Zeta are very entertaining, genuine, ambitious and extremely caring. Rushing was probably one of the best decisions I have made since moving. 
·      Professors can have an impact in just one semester. I had an absolutely fantastic Cultural Anthropology professor that really opened my eyes to how the world works, how society is constructed and why we think the way we do. I have a new passion, hopefully a new mentor and possibly a new major as a result.
·      Independence creeps up on you. I was always pretty independent but moving to college took it to a new level. Looking back I was suddenly making all the decisions in my life, when and what I would eat, when I would exercise, go out, sleep, do homework, do my laundry (there were one or two sheetless nights). I am so much the better for it, and have a freedom and an experience that no matter how liberal my parents are I wouldn’t have had at home.
·      Time really does fly when you are having fun. I have already completed one year at Duke! I cannot wait to see what sophomore year brings, with major choices, new housing, a new campus when I do my semester switch to UNC, new classes and new friends.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for such a great insight into your Freshman year. And I love the way you set out the information. Good stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a lump in my throat...my little girl all grown up and independent. Cannot imagine how you slept without sgeets. Mym..aka Princess and the Pea

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've made the most of a fantastic opportunity as I knew you would. Hope we get to catch up on your next trip home xx - carol

    ReplyDelete