Monday, June 23, 2014

From Sydney to the 'Sippi



About a year ago I left my hometown Sydney, Australia behind and moved to America, as part of the Robertson Scholars Leadership Program at Duke University. Forsaking kangaroos for raccoons, beachside December for snow, the “barbie” for BBQ and Vegemite for peanut butter and jelly, moving was a big change. In my year in the United States I have travelled from North Carolina to New York to California to Florida. Embracing different atmospheres, people and attitudes has always fascinated me. I was therefore really looking forward to my eight weeks in Cleveland as part of the Robertson Program, interning at Coopwood Communications. I knew it would be a culture and an experience unlike anything back home, or what I have experienced in the U.S so far.

Unfortunately, I was one of a rare few people excited for my summer in Mississippi. Quite honestly when I told people where I was going I would always get the same response, “Cleveland, Mississippi? Why would you go there?” People took on my excitement as a personal challenge and would do their utmost to squash my enthusiasm. They would begin by lamenting about how boring Mississippi was, then complain about the people “I mean, they are all rednecks” and finally tell me I would “die” from the heat and mosquitos. I really resented these comments, and the bigoted mindset they displayed, the very mindset that these people were attributing to Mississippians.  

They couldn’t have been more wrong.

From the moment I landed at Memphis airport where Rachel Bush, a graphic designer at Coopwood was generously waiting for me, every single person went out of his or her way to be friendly, informative and welcoming. I was a little startled at first by being so enthusiastically greeted on the street. In a city you’re lucky if you get a head nod or smile. This southern hospitality made Cleveland feel like “home” very quickly. Just the other evening I had the privilege, thanks to gallery owner Will Jacks, of being welcomed to join dinner with him and his photographer friends. They shared with me their rich family history while I admired hundreds of beautiful photos.

I’ve only been here two weeks but in that time I have encountered people from all walks of life: farmers, photographers, students, bar tenders, lawyers and editors. Many of these people were born in Cleveland and either never left, or came back here to raise a family. I can see why, there is a charm to knowing everyone around town, sharing stories at the local coffee shop and, having your children play with your friend’s sons and daughters. Cleveland is also just so beautiful with its flat expanse stretching out to fuchsia sunsets, blue skies and majestic rains.


I am not denying that education and race relations are large problems in Mississippi, like in many other places of the world. However, the people I have met here are aware of the problems and are actively seeking to engage in dialogue about these issues so that they can be remedied.

I haven’t even been in Cleveland for three weeks but I’ve sampled local food (finding out the hard way that the “pastry” tamales are encased with is in fact paper), been to Hey Joe’s, got caught in a huge storm, eaten by mosquitos and met incredible, interesting people who lead diverse and fulfilling lives.

I already am very charmed by, and protective of you Cleveland so I can only imagine how much more attached I will be in five weeks…

Can I be an honorary Delta girl?



**This was published as a guest column in "The Cleveland Current"the newspaper I am working for in Cleveland for 8 weeks.













No comments:

Post a Comment