Saturday, August 10, 2013

Perceptions of America Pt.1

I've been in America for over ten days now and have loved my time visiting NY and the coast of North Carolina! Whilst I'm collating all the stories that have come with my adventures I thought I would share just a few of my initial perceptions of the U.S :)

1. New Yorkers
Horribly rude and dismissive New Yorkers...are virtually impossible to find. Trust me, I looked (if only to take a cheesy tourist photo as proof of my encounter.) Maybe it was because it was August and all were off on 'vacation' or maybe it was our foreign charm but people were going out of their way to help us. A fight almost broke out over who would get to help us first! 
New Yorkers, if you want to keep your spot in Time and Leisure mag as being the rudest people in the U.S...you're going to have to up your game!

2. Southern hospitality
As lovely as New Yorkers were, nothing beats Southern Hospitality. From the smiles, to the y'all's to the simple ready to assist attitude, I love it! 

3. Addiction 
America.. You have a problem, I think it is in need of a tailor-made 12 step program. It is lurking on every corner, it is taking over your day, it is robbing your bank accounts. Starbucks.
Seriously? It isn't even great coffee. The cups are as large as swimming pools and would make any Italian cringe. 
Just put the dollar down and step away from the multi-billion dollar corporation. 

4. Money.
 It's very confusing in America. I mean your notes all the same colour (in the dark who's to say I gave you a $100 not a $1?). Woops there goes my yearly College budget...
I also keep forgetting that tax isn't incorporated into item costs. Super-cheap-awesome-deal suddenly not so cheap. 
Same deal with tipping. I come from a culture where tipping is rare and usually only for exceptional service. To tip everyone, different amounts and percentages for absolutely everything is a bit of a culture shock and unwelcome mathematical exercise.

5. Drinks
America's drinking age may be 21, but there is never a "drink" far from reach. You can purchase a $1 drink from any McDonalds and refill it all day, at any other McDonalds. Great for the teeth and body mass but extremely tempting just for the sheer value.
But why purchase a drink for a whole dollar when you can get sweet tea at pretty much any cafe/restaurant in N.C for free.
This offer has not ended well for me.
The icy cold, sweetened tea has captured my heart and I'm afraid to say I am quite addicted...

This is the beginning of many first impressions and I am sure many more to come!

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly how you feel Tierney - reminds me of my first days in Canada. I still get caught out by the tax!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tax is the sneakiest move ever, the tipping I was also shocked about that until I was informed that I was robbing my servers of their lively hood and that it's imperitive that I always tip 10-18 percent :O. Anyhow , sweet tea FTW - alogn with freshman fifteen ;)

    Uzo

    ReplyDelete