Friday, April 12, 2013

To be a Tar Heel or a Blue Devil?


  OR  

When dreaming about Robertson I had always pictured myself at Duke. I’m not sure why, because it was better known internationally? Or maybe because its grounds were Hogwarts-like!

I can be a bit indecisive at times, so when I had to actually pick which uni erm sorry ‘College’ to attend I was stuck. The private smaller Duke University or the public and larger UNC? To be a Blue Devil or a Tar Heel?

Duke has the better international reputation and gorgeous grounds, but UNC is also an excellent uni with maybe less academic pressure and more typical American college life. Whilst both UNC and Duke offer some form of International Studies, UNC has an amazing journalism school which interested me greatly.

I obsessed, I wrote lists, I stalked college reviews, I asked parents, friends, lecturers other Robertson scholars. I wanted to make the right choice for me, after all I had done this much thinking when picking a uni in Sydney.

Just when I thought I had decided on UNC, I changed my mind back. Since hearing of the scholarship I wanted to go to Duke, plus the beauty of Robertson means that I take courses and live for a semester at UNC if I'm at Duke and vice versa! So, I have placed Duke University as my first preference (Blue Devils!) but it will depend on what all the other scholars want. I would have no problem at all with UNC, I’m happy with either. Hey, I’m just dying to start dorm room applications and be allocated a roommate! (I’ve secretly already started brainstorming decorating and storage ideas!)
xx

1 comment:

  1. I think you will end up exactly where you are meant to be. And as you said,you will spend time on both campuses anyway. Now you just have to learn the rules of basketball to fit in in a town and a college with a basketball obsession and rivalry. Dana

    ReplyDelete